It's only October but the Ravenous Readers are getting into the holiday spirit this week with Jay Asher and his new release, What Light, which came out yesterday! We asked Jay to put on his onesie and join us for our Top 5 Holiday Spirit Movies and Songs.
- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - It's one of my favorite comedies, period, and it recreates so well the hectic frustration of trying to create a "perfect" family Christmas.
- Elf - Will Ferrell at his funniest, and it captures that innocence of the holidays many of us would like to maintain.
- A Christmas Story - As a child, I didn't get it. But every time I watch it now, I understand and appreciate the nostalgic quality. I think a lot of what people enjoy about the season is not simply what it is now, but our memories of previous holidays.
- Adaptations of A Christmas Carol - The book is one of my all-time favorites, and I love watching any adaptation that gets spun from it. Whether its a faithful adaptation or simply used as a jumping off point, I will always watch.
- Any of the Hallmark Christmas movies - Yes, they can be cheesy, but this is a season made richer with a little cheesiness.
TOP 5 HOLIDAY SPIRIT SONGS
- Have a Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives - Everything about this song feels like my perfect holiday season.
- Christmas Time is Here by the Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas is Christmas! I find myself singing this a lot when I'm feeling in the spirit.
- Any version of Little Drummer Boy - This is my favorite Christmas carol. It's all about simplicity, both in the lyrics and the music.
- Christmas Canon by Trans-Siberian Orchestra - I listened to this song a lot while writing the final pages of What Light. I wanted to create a mystic quality, with everything coalescing when they sing, "On this night, on this night, on this very Christmas night..."
- Silent Night during a candlelight Christmas Eve service - This represents the most touching moment of every season for me.
by Jay Asher
Published: October 18th 2016 (out
From Jay Asher, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Thirteen Reasons Why, comes a romance that will break your heart, but soon have you believing again. . . .
Sierra's family runs a Christmas tree farm in Oregon—it's a bucolic setting for a girl to grow up in, except that every year, they pack up and move to California to set up their Christmas tree lot for the season. So Sierra lives two lives: her life in Oregon and her life at Christmas. And leaving one always means missing the other.
Until this particular Christmas, when Sierra meets Caleb, and one life eclipses the other.
By reputation, Caleb is not your perfect guy: years ago, he made an enormous mistake and has been paying for it ever since. But Sierra sees beyond Caleb's past and becomes determined to help him find forgiveness and, maybe, redemption. As disapproval, misconceptions, and suspicions swirl around them, Caleb and Sierra discover the one thing that transcends all else: true love.
What Light is a love story that's moving and life-affirming and completely unforgettable.