~ Think about any attachments that are depleting your emotional reserves. Consider letting them go. ~

I think that quote fits perfectly for the question that I am pondering. When is it time to say GOODBYE to a series? I am asking this because I began to update my reading piles and I noticed that on the top of my TBR pile I had books from two different series that I just cannot seem to pick up and read. It has been months and now other books are coming out and I find that I am indifferent to that fact whereas before both series had me hanging on tender hooks for the next novel.

I sat for a few minutes trying to decipher my feelings and I came up with different conclusions for each series. One became too far-fetched while remaining stagnate, while the other I could not seem to relate or care about the characters anymore. These facts caused me a bit of sadness for I remember how much I enjoyed these series initially, yet somehow along the way I lost interest or it could be that my reading tastes changed and I became more discerning about how I spent my time. Either way I am sitting here with books that I know I am not going to bother with and I wonder if anyone else feels the same way?

10 comments on "When is it time to say GOODBYE to a series?"

1. It depends. Series are an investment, so many times I don't know if I even want to read book one. And just because I read book one, does not mean I will continue. There are tons of series I've abandoned because I just can't get excited about them.

2. It takes a lot for me to abandon a series half-way through. but i know what you mean, I was like that with the end of Blue Moon by Alyson Noel but I still haven't read Shadowland.

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

4. I have a hard time abandoning series. For that reason, I don't "abandon," but put them aside to read later :)

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

5. Some authors sadly don't move a series where you'd like them to go, some just don't take any risks at all, some just don't move on at all, and some go on to be better and better. I take each book on it's own merit and, as you know, have abandoned many of the series I advocated for shamelessly. But of course I want to know what's the other series too (is there perchance a movie coming out soon?)

6. That has happened to me many atimes. The best series are the ones that keep me hooked, though. And I very often have to restrain myself from picking up a new series, because I know that I'm the kind of person who's book preference WILL change, and when it does I won't want to finish the series. Plus... I hate not being able to get to the end when I want to. :)

7. I feel that the HoN series should have ended on book 3 or 4. The rest have just been filler books. When you have to stretch out the plot and add unnecessary filler to a story, that's when a series should end.

8. And that was my other series disappointment

9. I soooo agree with you exp with the HON series. I feel that with the series that has gone from there will be 6 books to 12 books, is just stretching out their storylines. I think its just too much. They ran out of good stories 2 books ago. I have the new one just sitting there.. But alas there are other books that I would rather read than be disappointed Again..

10. Great discussion! I try to give a series 2 chances before abandoning it. I gave the Anita Baker series 3 chances (suffered thru 3 disappointing books), as I had loved it so much at the beginning, but finally had to abandon it because I didn't like what Anita had become.

There are so many good books out there, and so many new series to try, why stick with a series you no longer enjoy? Take Oprah's advice, cut your losses, and move on.

Lenore wrote:
June 15, 2010 at 12:51 AM

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

So Many Books, So Little Time wrote:
June 15, 2010 at 2:49 AM

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

Ravenous Reader wrote:
June 15, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

Bella Swan Cullen wrote:
June 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

Bookgeek wrote:
June 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

Elise wrote:
June 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

Carolina wrote:
June 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

Ravenous Reader wrote:
June 16, 2010 at 8:48 PM

And that was my other series disappointment

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment

~THE OPTIMISTIC PESSIMIST ~ wrote:
June 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM

3. Sophie that is unfortunately one of the series I am talking about :(

Out of curiosity, what's the other series you're referring to?

8. And that was my other series disappointment